Your home should be a safe place, and while most people automatically assume that their home is protecting them, the reality is that some issues may be completely invisible. In particular, the air quality of your home is something that isn’t always considered but that could be causing you to become sick or feel less than 100%. Air quality matters, and one way to combat air pollution is to find the right indoor house plants for sale.
The big problem with indoor air quality is simple – everything from furniture to upholstery to building materials to cleaning products can give off small amounts of toxic compounds. Additionally, things like pollen, mold, and bacteria can build up in the home just from natural sources.
This can lead to headaches, dizziness, nausea, sinus irritation, and more. In extreme cases, poor air quality can even lead to problems with breathing. As such, improving air quality is a must for any homeowner. And luckily, several indoor house plants for sale can do just that.
Cleaning The Air With Houseplants
It sounds strange, but the reality is that some houseplants can actually clean the air around you. It’s such an important part of promoting healthier living that even NASA has been working to develop new techniques – including using indoor house plants for sale that can improve air quality.
With that in mind, here are some of the best indoor plants for sale that you can add to your home right now to reduce toxins in the air and boost air quality overall.
- Areca Palm – This plant is well documented for its ability to reduce toxins in the air. It can reach 10 to 12 feet in height, but can be pruned to keep it at a more manageable size. The Areca palm reduces toxins including toluene, and it also emits water vapor to help promote less dry air in the home.
- Rubber Plant – One of the best indoor house plants for sale when it comes to removing formaldehyde from the air, this species of the ficus grows to about eight feet in height and will need to be supported by a stake in most cases. But, with a little TLC it will provide you with a much healthier indoor environment.
- Spider Plants – Not only do spider plants remove xylene and formaldehyde form the air, but they also are some of the easiest houseplants that you can grow. This makes them a perfect choice for beginners as well as those who are so busy that they may forget to water their plant every day.
- Dracaena – There are more than 40 different types of dracaena available, and all of them remove many pollutants from the air including benzene, formaldehyde, xylene, and more. But, be careful since they are toxic to cats and dogs.
- Philodendron – Able to grow with little care, these plants are easy to grow and provide great results at cleaning the air. You can choose from several different types of philodendron, and they’ll benefit form regular misting of the leaves.
- Peace Lily – Smaller than most of the other plants listed here, these plants flower for much of the summer and can remove ammonia, benzene, formaldehyde, and many other pollutants. Their flowers will release some pollen into the air, but the chemicals they remove are often worth the extra pollen.
- Dwarf Date Palm – Another of the indoor house plants for sale that has been proven to remove many airborne chemicals, this plant needs regular misting and watering to stay healthy, but when cared for correctly it will live for decades and help you get clean air.
There is no question that the air you breathe has a huge impact on your health and wellbeing. While expensive filter systems are one way to improve better indoor air quality, it’s well worth remembering that just adding the right indoor house plants for sale to your home or office could have a big impact on air quality as well. The options above are some of the best places to start when you want a great looking plant that also helps you breathe better.
To learn more about the right plants for your home or to find other great plant options and ideas, be sure to subscribe to our newsletter.